Thursday, October 13, 2011

I need a little bit of heat damage in my life

I have been natural all my life. I have never had a perm nor did I ever want a perm. My mom would not allow me to get a perm and I just left it at that. However, I got my hair pressed on a regular basis. I started getting my hair pressed at about 10 years old. Before going to the salon I would get my hair combed by my cousin. I remember the pain vividly. She would tear through my hair with a brush and comb and I hated her for it. I remember every holiday I never wanted to go to my grandmother’s house because I knew my cousin was going to be there and she would have the comb. They called me tender headed. Now that I look back, I realize I was not tender headed my cousin just brushed my hair when it was dry and used a fine tooth comb.

Once I started getting my hair done at the salon I stopped playing so hard because I never wanted my hair to revert (nap up). I never learned how to swim because I never wanted to get my hair wet. Throughout school I just went on a regular basis to get my hair done. When I got to college when most people start experimenting with their hair I stuck to braids until my senior year.

It was not until after college when I planned on going out of the country for longer than 2 weeks that I realized I needed to do my own hair. I at least needed to know how to wash and style it. When most of my friends started going natural I always felt there was no need for me to go on this curly endeavor. However, recently I decided I wanted to start going to the gym regularly and I did not want to limit myself by my press.

I cannot say that the pressing comb is out of my life forever. I cannot even say it is out of my live for the rest of the year but I will try to limit the heat.

In England with my future staple style

No comments:

Post a Comment